REOI – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT AGR-2023 TARGETED REVIEW ON UNCONSTITUTIONAL CHANGES OF GOVERNMENT: INTEGRITY OF DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONS
REOI - INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT AGR-2023 TARGETED REVIEW ON UNCONSTITUTIONAL CHANGES OF GOVERNMENT: INTEGRITY OF DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONSDownload File
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
PROCUREMENT NUMBER: APRM/USAID/IC/INTER/IDE/ 06/2022: INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT AGR-2023 TARGETED REVIEW ON UNCONSTITUTIONAL CHANGES OF GOVERNMENT: INTEGRITY OF DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONS
Financing Agreement reference: 665-AA-018
Country: South Africa
Project Title: AUC-APRM-USAU PROJECT
The APRM in collaboration with AGA is now in the process of developing the next Africa Governance Report, AGR-23 and in this regard is seeking the services of appropriately qualified African experts from academia, think tanks and practice to develop the thematic chapters for the report. These chapters are based on themes derived from the various meetings of the African Union Peace and Security Council, the African Governance Architecture and APRM policy entities.
These Request for Expression Of Interest (REOI )specifically seek to engage the services of an expert in elections. The expert is expected to contribute to the development of a chapter of the African Governance Report 2023 (AGR-2023) on the integrity of Democratic elections and change of government Africa.
The AGR- 2023 examines the phenomenon of unconstitutional changes of government in Africa. The report has been organised into five substantive chapters defined along the drivers of unconstitutional changes of government identified by various organs of the African Union. Each chapter thus implicitly represent a thematic area defined as follows: i) the confluence between diversity management, human rights and change of government ii) integrity of democratic elections and change of government iii) constitutional order, state legitimacy and change of government iv) implications of economic management and public sector accountability on change of government and v) mass protests, militarisation, and the change of government
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the drafting of the chapter on integrity of democratic elections of the Africa Governance Report-2023 and contribute to the overall development of report.
The aim is to ensure that the African Governance Report 2023 is of the highest quality in regard to content and presentation. To this end the expert is expected to conform and comply the all relevant AU – APRM writing guidelines.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The Consultant MUST have one of the following educational backgrounds, experiences and skills and MUST ATTACH THE RELEVANT CERTIFICATES AND TESTIMONIALS:
- Must be a citizen of an AU member state verified by possession of a relevant national passport
- Must have no criminal record
- PhD in governance, international relations, peace and security studies, international law, political science, or related field specialising in human rights, conflict resolution and national reconciliation.
- A Masters degree in the same disciplines with at least 15 years senior level experience in similar or comparable fields will be considered.
- Minimum ten (10) years experience for PhD holders or a minimum of fifteen (15) experience for Masters degree holders, as lecture and researcher, policy analyst, public sector expert at national, sub-regional and global levels. Experience with the United Nations, the African Union, regional Economic Communities and/or reputable international organisations.
- Project management experience, and able to respect deadlines.
- Experience in writing and/or editing materials for publications.
- Excellent analytical skills. Strong policy development experience at international, regional and national level in Africa is required.
- Familiarity with:
- the Constitutive Act of the African Union, AU Agenda 2063, Lomé Declaration, ACDEG
- AU Policy Organs, RECs/RM and their procedures and processes
- AU policies on governance and Human Rights and their implementation at national level
- Good interpersonal and diplomatic skills ability to work in a team in a consultative and collaborative manner observing protocol.
Skills & Requirements
- Ability to analyse and interpret qualitative and quantitative data to inform governance reforms at national and multilateral level.
- Demonstrable ability to function in multicultural, multidisciplinary teams. Acting independently in the implementation of specific tasks, multitasking and prioritizing, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills, including editing skills.
- Fluency or professional working proficiency in English or French is desirable. French speaking or bilingual applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Functional knowledge of other AU Working languages will be considered.
The APRM invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest for the above-mentioned consultancy by providing the requisite information and documentation:
- Full curriculum vitae that includes information on educational qualifications, professional experience, and expertise.
- Proof of all academic and professional qualifications by submitting copies of relevant Certificates and Testimonials.
- Provide one relevant writing sample/ published report demonstrating writing and research experience and skills on the topic.
- The short-listing and the selection procedure shall be done in accordance with the AU Procurement Manual, version 2.0 dated July 2016. Only Shortlisted Candidates shall be issued with the Terms of Reference (TORS)
Interested Consultants may obtain further information by contacting Email: [email protected]during office hours (8h00 -17h00 SAST). Clarification shall be published on the APRM website (www.aprmau.org) and MUST be requested not less than seven days prior to the closing date of the bid.
SUBMISSION OF BID:
- )Expressions of interest must be submitted via email: : [email protected]on or before 25 August 2022 at 11.00am South Africa Standard Time. The EOI Shall be Opened on 25 August 2022 at 11.00am South Africa time.
- Submission to be titled: PROCUREMENT NUMBER: APRM/USAID/IC/INTER/IDE/ 06/2022: INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT AGR-2023 TARGETED REVIEW ON UNCONSTITUTIONAL CHANGES OF GOVERNMENT: INTEGRITY OF DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONS
- Only bids submitted on time shall be accepted.
African Peer Review Mechanism
Private Bag x09, Halfway House, 1685
Physical Address: 230 15th Street, Randjies Park, 1st Floor
Midrand, South Africa
Tel: +27 11 256 3400/01/29
Submission Email: : [email protected]