REOI – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS FOR INTERPRETATION SERVICES
REOI - INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS FOR INTERPRETATION SERVICESDownload File
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
PROCUREMENT NUMBER: EOI APRM/CRM/AUC/IS/ 02/2021
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST: INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS FOR INTERPRETATION SERVICES
Country: South Africa
The African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) is an African Union (AU) organ headquartered in Midrand, South Africa that was established in 2003 by the African Union Heads of State and Government with the primary purpose of fostering practices that lead to political stability, high economic growth, sustainable and inclusive development, as well as accelerated regional and continental integration. It seeks to rectify underlying deficiencies in governance and socio-economic development processes among member states of the African Union. The APRM covers four thematic areas: (i) Democracy and political governance; (ii) Economic management and governance; (iii) Corporate governance; and (iv) Socio-economic development. Participating countries go through detailed review processes (including consultations with government, the private sector, civil society and other stakeholders), culminating in a peer review exercise at the level of Heads of State and Government.
For efficient execution of APRM’s mission, the Language Services Department seeks to provide, in addition to translation, interpretation services at all APRM meetings organized at its headquarters and throughout the African Continent.
In light of the foregoing, the APRM hereby invites qualified individual consultants to express their interest to provide: Interpretation services during various APRM meetings and missions, into and from English and French primarily, and, occasionally, into and from Portuguese, Spanish and Arabic.
The APRM will select successful candidates and sign framework contracts with them in order to constitute a roster of freelance interpreters whose services will be contracted as and when needed during a period of three (3) years, renewable.
1.Objectives and scope of the assignment
- The Language Services Department will use the services of the selected consultants, as and when needed, to meet the Institution’s interpretation needs throughout the duration of the framework contracts.
- There shall not be any lump sum payments and the consultants shall be paid for the services effectively provided.
- The consultant will be required to perform quality interpretation during meetings.
- For each assignment, the interpreter and the Language Services Department shall agree on the duration, completion date and cost of the service to be provided; the costs shall be based on defined rates set by the African Union and taking into account international standards; and
- The payment of consultants, continuation and subsequent renewal of contracts shall be contingent upon satisfactory periodic and annual performance.
2. Administration and reporting
The consultants shall report to the Head of Interpretation Services who shall be responsible for the periodic and annual assessment as well as guidance of the consultant.
3. Duration of the contract
The aforesaid framework contract to be signed with the APRM shall be for a duration of three (3) years. It shall commence in August 2021 and end on 30 June 2024. The contract shall be renewable for similar durations of three years or less, subject to satisfactory assessment of the performance of the consultant over the preceding contract period.
4. Qualifications and experience required.
Prospective consultants must be nationals of African Union Member States and shall possess the following qualifications and skills, in keeping with the AU’s procurement policies:
- At least a Master’s degree, equivalent qualification or experience in Interpretation;
- Relevant experience of at least five (5) years in interpretation preferably in servicing international meetings;
- Excellent speaking skills in English and French, and/or in Portuguese, Spanish and Arabic;
- Ability to work reliably, independently and effectively, even under pressure, and to meet agreed deadlines;
- Adequate knowledge of the core business, activities and operations of the African Union and the African Peer Review Mechanism;
- Experience working for the African Peer Review Mechanism and/or other international organizations, national institutions and relevant national ministries and agencies.
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard software as well as with Remote Simultaneous Interpretation tools and similar software will be an added advantage;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multilingual environment; and
- Ability to work in a team and to communicate effectively.
5. How to apply
- Interested consultants are hereby invited to electronically submit (i) a letter of expression of interest and (ii) a curriculum vitae including scanned copies of qualifications and relevant academic credentials.
- Expressions of interest must be submitted through E-mail: [email protected] on or before 29th July 2021 at 1100hrs South Africa time. The REOI shall be opened on 29th July 2021 at 11 hours South Africa time.
- Submission Title: PROCUREMENT NUMBER: EOI APRM/CRM/AUC/IS/ 02/2021 REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST: INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS FOR INTERPRETATION SERVICES
- Only bids submitted on time shall be accepted.
- Bids submitted with wrong submission title shall be rejected.
Interested consultants may obtain further information by contacting [email protected] during office hours (8h00 -17h00 SAST). Clarification shall be published on the APRM website (www.aprm-au.org) and MUST be requested not less than seven days prior to the closing date of the bid. Clarifications not received within this period shall be rejected.
The short-list and the selection procedure shall be in done in accordance with the AU Procurement Manual, version 2.0 dated July 2016.