TOR - TECHNICAL DATA ASSISTANT FOR THE AFRICAN UNION GOVERNANCE CAMPUS PROJECTDownload File
TERMS OF REFERENCE OF THE TECHNICAL DATA ASSISTANT FOR THE AFRICAN UNION GOVERNANCE CAMPUS PROJECT
PROCUREMENT NUMBER : APRM/018/SIDA/DAGC/2021
The African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) is an autonomous entity of the African Union (AU). The primary purpose of the APRM is to foster the adoption of policies, standards and practices that lead to political stability, high economic growth, sustainable development and accelerated sub-regional and continental economic integration through sharing of experiences and reinforcement of successful and best practices. The mandate of the APRM is to ensure that policies and practices of participating Member States conform to the agreed political, economic and corporate governance values, codes and standards of the African Union.
Towards the fulfilment of its mandate, the APRM, under the auspices of the African Union (AU), is developing a set of governance development training programmes called the African Union Governance Campus.
The project which has been necessitated by the need to continually improve human rights, livelihoods, and economic competitiveness in African states, will offer Afri-pedagogy (African-conceived and African-delivered) programmes, in collaboration with one main partner university and other regional universities.
- DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The African Union Governance Campus is a virtual campus delivering training programmes through several universities across the continent. It is envisaged that the project, which aims to become a permanent fixture on the African governance training and research arena, delivers accredited courses at post-graduate certificate, masters and doctoral level through two streams: an academic stream and an executive stream.
The APRM will work with a network of institutions comprised of a consortium of schools of governance, schools of government, universities and think tanks, to ensure that the programme is delivered. In this regard, the development and management of a database for the network is a key component of the Africa Union Governance Campus project.
The APRM is therefore seeking the services of a qualified post-graduate-level assistant to give support in the development and management of the database for this project.
- PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Technical Data Assistant shall undertake internet research to facilitate the development and management of a network database of individuals and governance institutions (schools of governance, schools of government, universities and think tanks) in Africa.
- SCOPE OF THE ASSSIGNMENT
- The Technical Data Assistant is to provide database development and management services for the establishment and delivery of the training programmes of the African Union Governance Campus.
- The Technical Data Assistant is to complete key database management activities. This work will be carried out from February through to March 2021.
The functions of the Technical Data Assistant shall include:
- Managing correspondences (email and telephonic) between APRM and partner institutions.
- Developing the database for the Africa Union Governance Campus.
- Developing the database for the Network of Governance Institutions in Africa.
- Correspondences with potential partner institutions.
The incumbent shall, among others, provide the following deliverables:
- A complete database for the African Union Governance Campus.
- An online mailing platform.
- A project report outlining correspondences with partner institutions regarding the African Union Governance Campus.
- TIME FRAME /DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
This is a two-months assignment.
- QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
Honours Degree level in Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Computer Science, Data Management, Data Science, African Studies, Development Studies, International Relations, Public Administration, Politics, Law, or any other relevant field; and a minimum of one (1) year of relevant professional experience in data management and writing.
7.2 Relevant Experience
- Proven experience developing databases and related reports, including extraction and extrapolation of data, inputting of data and data cleaning.
- Experience in managing projects, meetings, and teams.
- Demonstrated ability to write academic and policy work as evidenced by samples of previous work.
- Fluency in spoken English is required. Knowledge of the other African Union working languages will be an added advantage.
- FACILITIES AND SERVICES TO BE PROVIDED BY THE CLIENT
The APRM Secretariat shall:
- Facilitate access to relevant information, data, and stakeholders.
This assignment will primarily be based at the APRM Continental Secretariat in Midrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. However, should the circumstance require working online, then the Technical Data Assistant is expected to use their own laptop, data/Wi-Fi, and other required equipment to carry out the task.
- PAYMENT SCHEDULE
The assignment will be conducted in two-months and the consultant will be paid upon certification of satisfactory work as per work plan, and as endorsed by the APRM Continental Secretariat.
|Item||Deliverable||Payment fraction of the contract|
|1||A complete database for the African Union Governance Campus||70%|
|2||An online mailing platform||10%|
|3||A project report outlining correspondences with partner institutions, data gaps as well as recommendations regarding the African Union Governance Campus||20%|
- GENERAL INFORMATION
All consultancies will be advertised on an equal opportunity basis.
Applicants should be nationals of AU Member States.
- LANGUAGE OF ASSIGNMENT
- EVALUATION CRITERIA
Submission and Mandatory Requirements:
- The Technical Data Assistant must have a minimum of a Honours degree in a relevant field, such as: Information and Communications Technology (ICT), computer science, data management, data science, statistics, African studies, development studies, economics, international relations, governance, law, political science, public administration, peace and security studies, social sciences, economics, or related field of study.
- A minimum of one (1) year of relevant professional experience.
- The Technical Data Assistant is required to be fluent in the English language.
- Must submit up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Must provide relevant academic and professional certificates to support the CV.
- Submit a sample of any data management and/or research work undertaken over the past 1-3 years.
Technical Evaluation Criteria:
Admission into the data-mining process is incumbent upon satisfying the criteria, which is based on the aspirations of the African Union. The Minimum Technical score shall be 70.
|Qualification and Experience||Weight|
|Post-graduate minimum of a Honours Degree||30|
|Computer Science and Data Management, Data Science, or related field of study in ICT.||30|
|Other qualifications: African studies, development studies, economics, international relations, governance, law, political science, public administration, peace and security studies, social sciences, economics, statistics or related field of study.||20|
|Strong background in research and analysis in the areas of ICT and data management.||10|
|Understanding of data management, including collecting, organizing, storing, and presenting data.||10|
|Flexibility to adapt expectations and project requirements.||5|
|Effective communication and engagement skills (telephonic, email etc.).||5|
|Advanced computer proficiencyi) Database and statistical software such as SPSS,ii) Microsoft Office Suite, most especially Excel and Microsoft Outlook,iii) Internet open-source software proficiency.||20|
Overall, the Technical Data Assistant is accountable for deliverables to the Head of Research, Methodology and Development at the APRM Continental Secretariat.
- RESERVATIONS AND CONFIDENTIALITY
APRM reserves the right to withhold all or a portion of payment if performance is unsatisfactory, if work/output is incomplete, not delivered, or for failure to meet deadlines. In the event of the producer ending the contract prior to delivering all agreed upon products, a portion of the payments shall be returned to the APRM. The consultant undertakes to maintain confidentiality on all information that is not the public domain and shall not be involved in another assignment that represents a conflict of interest to the prevailing assignment. The Consultant shall undertake to refrain from promoting any political or religious beliefs in the documentary movie which is the subject of this contract.
Clarification can only be sought through Email: [email protected] during working hours- Monday to Friday time 8.00am to 5.00pm hours local time at least seven days before closing. Response shall be published on APRM portal. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR BID THROUGH THIS EMAIL
MODE OF APPLICATION/ SUBMISSION & DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED BY CONSULTANTS
The Technical Assistant will be required to submit, alongside the CV and all other relevant certificates for consideration, a sample of any data management and/or research work undertaken over the past 1-3 years.
The submission should be clearly marked ‘REOI: PROCUREMENT NUMBER: APRM/018/SIDA/DAGC/2021: DATA ASSISTANT FOR THE AFRICAN UNION GOVERNANCE CAMPUS PROJECT Shall be submitted through Email: [email protected] on or before 11th February 2021 at 11.00hrs South Africa time.
Eligible women are encouraged to apply. The REOI shall be opened immediately after the closing date and time before 11th February 2021 at 11.00hrs South Africa time.
All applications in writing should be accompanied by up-to-date certified Curriculum Vitae and supporting documents (Relevant Academic Certificates & reference letters) (Note: do not send originals) with the names and addresses of three referees, one of which should be the last consultancy and addressed to:
African Peer Review Mechanism
Private Bag XO8, Halfway House
Physical Address: 230 15th Road, 1st Floor,
Randjespark, Midrand, 1685,
Tel: +27 11 256 3401
Send Bid to Email: [email protected]