Addis Ababa, 12 July 2018 – The APRM Secretariat chairs the African Governance Architecture (AGA) Platform, which in March 2018 agreed on a Work Plan and Strategic Framework that identified collaborative priority activities for 2018. The APRM is the lead institution for the development of the State of Governance in Africa Report (SoGR). The report will assess the status of African governance, including progress towards the attainment of the African Union shared values, and will be the basis of future regular and continuous monitoring of governance rends.
As part of the development of the report on the SoGR, the APRM is conducting consultations with stakeholders in the from June to August 2018. A consultation team led by Dr Jonathan Mayuyuka Kaunda travelled to the African Union headquarters at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and had several meetings between 09 and 12 July 2018 with AU organs, liaison offices of the Regional Economic Communities at the AUC, and other stakeholders. The consultation team was composed of the following: Ms Adwoa Coleman, Prof. Anthoni Van Niuewkerk, Prof. Migai Akech, Ms. Ejigayhu Tefera and Ms. Virginia Mudhokwani.
The objective of the mission was to consult with various African Union Organs and Departments to popularize the project; obtain inputs on critical issues; and secure buy-in for the SoGR the following institutions were consulted:
- Conflict Prevention & Early Warning – Head – Amb. Fred Ngoga
- Department of Gender & Women Division – Ms Victoria Maloka & Mr. Adoumator Noubatour
- Liaison office for the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) – Dr. Theodore Njikam
- Department of Social Affairs – The African Committee on the Rights and Welfare of the Child – Ag Director Mme Cisse Mariama Mohamed
- Department of Political Affairs – Ag Director Mr. Guy Tapoko
- Department of Citizen & Diaspora Organisation – Mr. Kyeretwie Akwasi Osei and Ms Betty Wangozi
- Office of the Legal Counsel – Mr. Adewale Iyanda
- Office of Secretary General – Secretary General Mr. Mourad Ben Dhiab
- African Governance Architecture – Ag Director Amb. Sallah and AGA Secretariat team
- Special Advisor on Peace, Security and Governance – Amb Hadiza Mustapha
- Special Advisor to the Chairperson – Amb. Jean Mfasoni
- Liaison office for the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) – Amb. Salvator Matata
- AU Peace and Security Council (AUPSC) – Ag Director Dr. Admore Kambudzi and PSC Heads and Officers
- Permanent Representative Council – Amb Hope Tumukunde
These were preliminary consultations with the various AU organs and institutions. Further consultations will be held throughout the development of the State of Governance in Africa Report.